Monday, May 3, 2010

How in the world I ended up in Haarlem



Good question (I'm still wondering myself).

It was summer in Philadelphia, and somewhere between the humidity, coaching teenagers in the many cooking classes I was a part of, I was struck with the realization that Europeans are.....so "European".  I saw two 14-year old's side-by-side, one of them eating candy necklaces, referencing favorite TV shows, whining and missing home... the other composed, articulate, and with an air of *something* that - after two and a half months living with about 700 Euopean and American youths - I still had no word for how European kids are so different... so European?.


I knew I had to move to Europe.   I wasn't interested in spending a few weeks snapping photos of myself with the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, a German castle.... I wanted to live there and see what makes Europeans so different. That was summer 2007.  I still had to a year of college and wanted to spend a couple of years establishing some connections in the nutrition world before chasing this dream. 


So, in January 2010 I knew it was time. I started doing my homework and accepted a 1-year position as an Au Pair in Haarlem, The Netherlands.

Let me introduce you to Holland with a few fun-filled facts....

The Netherlands:
  • Is also known as "Holland".  The capital is Amsterdam.
  • Borders Belgium (which borders France) to the West; and Germany on the East.  England is to the Northwest.
  • Is less than 1/3 of the size of Washington, my home state (in square miles).
  • Is known for wind mills, vast fields of tulips, and wooden clogs (winning the Dutch the nickname "Cloggies").



I'm going to Haarlem (the original "Harlem") mid-June, and I will be there about 1 year working as an Au Pair!!!

1 comment:

  1. nice blog...I started one as well and surprisingly really like it. Even if no one is reading it!! Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete