Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Denmark, you are adorable!

Last weekend I spent my Saturday venturing to the "big city" from my tiny village.  This town is about the size of Hood River... but what I found did not disappoint!  


Welcome to the hustling, bustling enchanting little town called "Svendborg".  Join me for a virtual tour...


First stop: town square!  This is where you'll find the essentials: food, flowers and fashion!

Let's start with food!


First stop: the fish cart!

Here you can buy smoked fish roe (caviar), pickled fish... and fish balls!  These look like a little muffin or pastry, but they're savory and SO delicious!


At the cheese cart you can find incredible cheeses from all over Europe.  Including whiskey cheddar from Great Britain, and this coriander Gouda from Holland.  Yummmm!


Flowers!  There are rows of flower stands. The woman in this photo is "very Danish".  Blonde, short hair and wearing earth tones or a monochromatic ensemble of some sort.

And while we're talking fashion...


These teens and their skinny jeans are on a mission - shopping!!

Speaking of shopping...  I found a really adorable boutique there.  The clothes are great, but I found something even more impressive...

...this antique cash register!  (yes, this is still what they use!!!)



 


This woman is just sitting taking in the whole market square while she has her coffee and a smoke.


Bikes are big here in Denmark too!  It looks and feels a lot like Holland that way.


Just down around the corner, past the Apothek (pharmacy), cerca 1879, I found lots more shopping, people-watching and food!


Hot dogs!!!  Now, I'm not much on hot dogs normally, but Danes are known for their pork, and this is one amazing hot dog!    It's roasted to perfection until the skin is just crunchy.  Then it's crammed in to a slightly toasted pistol roll, covered in secret sauce, and it's unlike any American dog I've met!!

As I was wandering down the street - hot dog in hand - I came up to a grocery store.  Which is where found this little cart with dogs locked inside.  And I met "Mick" the dog dude.
Apparently I caught him on day one of his business pilot: "Dog Safe".  He sells these little.... dare I say "dog locker"s?  It's a brilliant business really.  If little Fluffy can't join you when you stop in for bread, cheese and licorice, wouldn't it be nice if you could tuck her away for 10 minutes while you run in? Now you can.  Thanks Mick!

Well, my day in Svendborg was a success.  I got to see everything, meet people, try the food, and I found this:


Design Sale!  Next Sunday... sweet!  Guess what I'll be doing next weekend? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment