Thursday, October 7, 2010

A day in the life of an aupair

After two months in Denmark I feel quite settled, and very very happy.



What goes on in the life of an aupair?


Well, my aupair friends each have their own stories - it depends entirely on the family you live with... I can only speak from my experience. Here's "a day in the life" of this aupair!


"Godmorgen!"

I wake up about 8am (the baby usually wanders in saying "Hi? Hi? Hi?...and pats my face if she doesn't get the response she's looking for!),

I grab some muesli for breakfast, down my coffee and start looking after the Patricia at 9am.  Usually I check the laundry and then head outside to play.  Usually we go for a walk or play at the park, but on Mondays we go to 4-H.  


She loves feeding the animals and playing with the other kids.







After some lunch it's nap time.  I put the baby down for a nap at noon and tidy the house, and cut up some potatoes for dinner (yes, we have potatoes for dinner every night). 

She wakes up at 1pm, I get her a snack and play with her until her Mom and brothers come home at 2pm.   She loves to play with her music toys or play dress up (from my closet! lol!) and when her brother gets home they both love it when I crank up the [Danish accordion] music and run around the kitchen table giggling until we all fall down in a heap!!

I'm "off" work at 2pm, and often I'll sit and have tea with Mette - the mother of the family who is rapidly becoming a dear dear friend.  

Then I have the rest of my day free - and I read, listen to music, go for a bike ride, and spend way too much time on Facebook!

My evenings are spent watching movies, talking with the parents of my host family about Danish culture or going out.  I made a couple of Danish friends who know where to find some music or play pool!!


I really love this family, and I'm happy here.  Soon I will start taking Dansk (Danish) lessons and my Danglish will improve greatly!  I'm looking forward to that... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment