Thursday, August 12, 2010

Goodmorning Denmark

This morning I woke up in my new room in Denmark, gathered my things and found my way to the bathroom...


...which is where I bumped into the man of the house - in his underwear.  Carrying a dirty diaper.


I did the same thing any civil person in my position would do: stifled a snicker, averted my eyes and said "good morning".


He proceeded to say "good morning", chat a little - obviously completely comfortable with the fact that he wasn't wearing pants - and said, "well, I've got some shit to take care of" and left.



Cultural disclaimer >>>

I've heard many other au pairs talk about the man of the house walking around in his knickers.  Apparently this is not considered sexual harassment here... it's just the European way!  They're very comfortable with skin (ie if you go to the beach it's common to see topless women and men in Speedos or even thongs).  And as for the comment - if they say "shit" in English is not a swear word - if they want to swear, they swear in their own language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment