Tuesday, February 15, 2011

10 Things I was not expecting to find in Europe...

    1.  Houses that look like something from a fairytale. 

Svendborg, Denmark



   2.  Night Ravens. 

Americans have "neighborhood watch" which is when people look out for each others' homes and let each other know if they see unwelcome people lurking in the neighborhood.  Danes have Night Ravens: parents who volunteer to be out on the town on weekends to keep an eye on drunk kids and make sure they're safe.  And to give out candy and condoms.  Yes, I said condoms.


   3.  Baby boozers.
She's almost 2 years old... awh, how sweet...

My host mother and the baby.


   4.  Rednecks. 

Granted, I live out in the country about an hour from anything I would call a "city".  The man I live with is a true redneck, complete with eccentric things to say about "those people", grease under his fingernails, duct tape at the ready and the slogan "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do..."


   5.  European 20-somethings who know more American pop-culture than I do.

But considering the source, I guess that's not saying a lot... 


   6.  Stores that close at 3:30pm on Saturday

And by "stores" I mean the entire town... and they are closed all day on Sundays.
(I'm so spoiled.)


   7.  American music everywhere.

Bruce Springtein, and Taylor Swift on the radio.  Danes picking American music for Kareoke like Nirvana Shania Twain and Kings of Leon.


   8.  Food carts driving on the beach.

Fresh fish anyone?


Zanvoort Beach, The Netherlands


   9.  People who think it's normal to eat potatoes

And eat them everyday.  Boiled, roasted, mashed, baked.. you name it, they eat it.  And you can even buy canned potatoes at the grocery store!  


  10.  Wrangler Jeans.

Yee-Haw?


Shop window in Amsterdam. Wranglers: 69 Euros.

No comments:

Post a Comment